Friday, April 3, 2015

Heath's Birthday

Birthdays

Birthdays have suddenly become a lot harder for me to partake in.  I have always enjoyed sending people a little birthday wish on facebook because I know how much it can brighten their special day.  However, since Millie passed I just can't bring myself to send anyone happy wishes on their special day.  Not because I don't care but because I start to think too much about what a birthday really is and it makes my heart heavy.  So if you don't hear those happy wishes from me on your day, know that I am secretly wishing you a happy day but am having trouble expressing it outwardly. 
 
 So March 28 was Heath's birthday.  He didn't express to me whether this would be a tough day or not but I know my birthday will be very tough this year and it's still 8 months away.  We didn't make a big deal out of it (and wouldn't have in general) but we did start the day out with a trip to Cabela's for some doorbuster deals.  After shopping around we got what we came for (a handgun bedside safe) and saved $150. Heath then convinced me to buy my first piece of Camo clothing as a birthday gift to him.  Camo is his favorite color after all :)

We then grabbed brunch at one of our favorite Cajun restaurants, Henry's.  We have never had brunch there before and it was delicious!  It also turned out that they have live bluegrass music playing there on Saturday mornings.  We had been there for awhile, enjoying drinks and appetizer, when the band finally started playing.  The band was set up right in front of our table and they opened with I'll Fly Away.  Heath and I immediately made tear-filled eye-contact.  This was our baby girl letting us know she was present on his special day! I'll Fly Away is the one song that Heath was insistent we play at her funeral.  The band played another song while Heath and I wiped our tear soaked cheeks and continued eating with big smiles on our faces.  Then the band started playing their third song of the set,Amazing Grace, and again tears were streaming down our faces.  This was yet another song played at her funeral.  It was a peaceful morning to know our baby girl was with us.  

Later that evening we had a fun dinner out with our dear friends, Jamie and Devin.  On our drive home we were listening to XM radio and The Dance by Garth Brooks came on.  The car fell silent as this was yet another song from her funeral.  I have not heard one single song from her funeral service until this particular day and I heard 3 of the 5 we chose to have played that day.  While they brought tears to our faces and made us miss our sweet girl, they also brought smiles to our faces and peace to our hearts as we realized she was with us all day long!  I can't speak for Heath but I imagine that those were the most special gifts he received that day.


 

1 comment:

  1. Such a great post! Such special moments! Tear-soaked cheeks

    ReplyDelete