Saturday, January 11, 2014

Holiday Tradition Shake-up

Christmas is my favorite holiday because it is so closely tied to the love and time spent with family every year.  This year things didn't quite turn out at planned...

Heath and I spent our first married Christmas 800 miles apart since he was unable to get the time off work.

I was forced to delay my travels by at least 1 day because of terrible weather throughout my route.

My father was in pain the entire week from throwing his back out while trying to deal with the sheet of ice covering the driveway from Friday's storm.  I tried my best to treat him but back spasms typically require time and meds which are both out of my control.

My sister, Laura, and her boyfriend, Woody, ended up sick with the stomach flu on Christmas Eve and were forced to miss out on the BIG Wiedmeyer Family Christmas Eve at Aunt Carol's and Uncle Doug's house.  This was super disappointing for her because she loves this holiday and seeing all the new babies so much.  But it was disappointing for me too as I hadn't gotten to spend any time with her yet. 

Then, at 4am Christmas morning, Laura requested mom take her to the Emergency Room for what turned out to be a round of stubborn kidney stones.  She was in pretty severe pain throughout the rest of my trip, requiring surgery to remove the stones on New Years Eve Day.  She was a trooper though and did her best to hang out as much as possible. 

Not all was lost though because I was able to meet for the first time four of the FIVE new second cousins added to the Wied clan this year.

My mom with sweet chunky baby Lilly

Trying to figure out how my cousin Sarah and husband Owen manage twin 2 month old boys, Sam and Will

 Stinker, Reese, is celebrating her 2nd Christmas but she's so dang cute in her new Chuck's from godmama, Laura

Baby Tolty (Colton) is always the center of attention

I got to enjoy my favorite traditional holiday snack...Raw beef on rye bread with salt, pepper and raw onion
 
We got to enjoy our immediate family present opening (minus Heath and Aaron but with addition of baby-on-the-way-bollwahn)


I got to break out my cross-country skis and enjoy the newly falling snow with my sister Kathryn



KC is rocking the snowshoes!!
 
Heath got to spend Christmas Eve and Day doing his favorite thing...hunting
 
He also spent time at Callaway Gardens with his dad's side of the family
 Heath with Rhonda's son, Austin, and Zach's daughter, Aubry
Zach with Aubry, Aunt Jane, Aunt Wanda, Rita, Heath, cousin Rhonda





 Together Heath and I got to enjoy our beautifully decorated new home (that my mother did an amazing job helping me put together).
 
Overall, it still turned out to be a safe and happy holiday filled with love and excitement.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment